Thursday, December 31, 2009

Antibiotic eye cream required for newborns in my state - can I get an exemption due to allergies?

I am severly allergic to all known topical antibiotics and don't want to take the risk of my baby having an allergic reaction, in her eyes of all places! I live in WA where it is mandatory but in this case where it could cause severe harm if I passed on this allergy to my baby, can I apply for an exemption? How?





Also, the only reason for the eye cream is so the baby won't get an eye infection from the mother if the mother has STD's...which I don't have (and have never had). It's not even necessary for my baby, why risk harming her eyes at birth?Antibiotic eye cream required for newborns in my state - can I get an exemption due to allergies?
I had my son in WA 20 months ago. I said I didn't want him having the eye cream, they said ';okay'; and that was that.





I don't think it's required, just recommended.Antibiotic eye cream required for newborns in my state - can I get an exemption due to allergies?
I have nothing to add but ';Way to go, lovelymrsm!'; You DO have all the rights, even if hospitals don't like to let on about that sometimes.





We declined the eye fussing with no problems.
You probably can, it is like the exemption forms for immunizations. You might be able to get a medical exemption from your doctor. Honestly, if you have been tested for STD/SDI's then there is no reason to need the eye cream. It is all a money making scam. Just try and google the exemption form for Washington. Good luck.
I know this is a long post, but I have a lot of information for you. Nothing-I repeat *NOTHING*-medical is required of you. No matter *WHAT* the doctors tell you, you don't have to do it-it is your legal right to refuse any and all types of medical treatment for you and your child. This includes *EVERYTHING* including all tests, vaccinations, and routine procedures.





You need to tell your doctor (and the doctor who is delivering you while you are in labor, if they're not the same-as well as the nursing staff and the on call pediatrician) that you refuse the eye cream. They *will* try to tell you that you aren't allowed to refuse, but *YOU* tell *THEM* that you know your rights and that you are willing to sign an AMA (against medical advice) acknowledgement and waiver but that you refuse to allow your child to be treated in that way. There is nothing that they can do to force you or your child to have this (or any other) treatment done and if they try to force the situation tell them (even if you're not going to) that you are going to call your attorney. They'll straighten up really fast.





Also-if they try to force anything on you or your baby you have the right to leave the hospital immediately. You are *not* required to give them a reason, you are *not required* to get permission or ';check out';-if you feel that strongly about not getting this treatment, you can pack your bags, take your baby, and leave. They will try to stop you, of course, but this is still America and you can still do whatever it is that you feel is best for you and your baby whether the doctors like it or not.





P.S. (Sorry, I know this is long) I did some research on the drops you were talking about and learned online that silver nitrate (one type of drop that they use on newborns) can actually *cause* eye irritation up to and including *blindness* by itself even if the mother does not have an infection that would cause the baby problems. There is an alternative, called erythromycin, but it is still a cream and does still have occurances of causing eye irritation and eye infections in newborns. There *IS* a natural alternative to these eye drops which will help your baby and also avoid the cream itself. Washing the eyes with a warm echinacea root decoction is an excellent, safe, and effective alternative to the conventional ointment. This eyewash can also be diluted with mother's milk, if any is available, and it is fine for this new milk to go into tender new eyes (it may even do that anyway by accident if you are nursing!)





Anyway, sorry again for the long post. Good luck to you and your baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment