Saturday, December 26, 2009

Can I use my antibiotic cream on my dog's incision?

She had a hysterectomy yesterday and the incision is a little red.Can I use my antibiotic cream on my dog's incision?
It is advised to not apply any topicals (not even antibiotic creams) to the incision site. The reddness will fade, just leave it alone. You could be doing more harm then good.Can I use my antibiotic cream on my dog's incision?
Please don't do this. Yes the incision will be red and inflamed however your cream is not the answer. Wrap a bag of frozen peas in several layers of towels and apply this to cool her down. If you are worried, phone the vet, however DO NOT USE YOUR ANTIBIOTIC CREAM.
A little red is normal. Just keep it clean.





If it gets redder ask your vet if your cream is OK for the dog. Most are OK, but it is always wise to ask your vet before you treat the dog yourself. If it looks infected your dog needs to go back to the vet for a look.
A little redness is expected. Leave the incision alone unless it swells, becomes bright red and hot or starts oozing. No cream is required on a clean uninfected incision.

No comments:

Post a Comment