Saturday, December 26, 2009

Have any of you successfully declined the newborn antibiotic eye cream/drops? Did they give you a hard time?

I did delay it for the initial bonding period, since it obscures their vision, and I had read/heard that this it is important for their development to get a good close-up view of their parents immediately after being born. I wish I had declined it altogether, but I hadn't done enough research to know. However, I know they wouldn't have given me a hard time about it, because I walked into the nursery with my husband and my baby and stood right over her while they did what they needed to do. I did not allow them to bathe her, because they would have required almost 2 hours under the warming lamps to stabilize her temperature, and I didn't want us to be separated for that long. Crazy!! Anyway, so the nurse just asked us what we did and didn't want done, so it wouldn't have been a problem if we had said no. Good luck!Have any of you successfully declined the newborn antibiotic eye cream/drops? Did they give you a hard time?
I was never 'offered' any, it was done as part of their normal procedure.


However, IF I had been given the 'option' I would not have declined.


I think the antibiotic cream/drops are a benefit.


My husband just got back surgery and he was given antibiotic cream/drops before the procedure to reduce infection, and he's a grown man. If it will benefit my baby, I have no problem with it.





The drops are given to prevent ANY infection/bacteria from getting into the eyes. It's also done before a major surgery in adults.





I also believe in vaccinations.





If YOU choose not to get the cream/drops, I don't think the Doctor will have a problem with it.





YOUR baby, YOUR choice; that's our Pediatrician's policy (and should be with all Doctors.)Have any of you successfully declined the newborn antibiotic eye cream/drops? Did they give you a hard time?
Ya know, I intended to when my baby was born but I completely forgot, I was still riding that natural childbirth high!! But we have refused all vaccines and have not had any hassle from his doctor.
It is law in some states that your baby has these drops...why wouldn't you give these to your babies...without it they could go blind...seriously I am a nurse and have studied this
Here in California it's required by law.
No. Why wouldn't you want to get it? It's a precautionary measure.
No even with my homebirth transfer with no records going with me (long story) they didn't hassle me and where I live you technically can't decline the eye drops, the doctor is supposed to report you to public health and the can (in theory) take the baby away and do it.





PS Even if you had one of the STDs that can cause severe eye infections leading to blindness there is no way on earth you could miss the signs of infection.





http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/eyeo鈥?/a>


Delee's Obstetrics for Nurses (1937 edition):





[gonorrhea] quickly sets up a violent inflammation of the conjunctiva. at first the lids grow red , then there is a thin, irritating discharge, with yellowish flakes. After a few hours this becomes purulent and th lids become so swollen that the eyes are closed. Unless active and constant treatment is instituted, the inflammation gains headway, the cornea may ulcerate, leaving ugly scars which shut out the light, or the lens may escape and the whole eye be destroyed. A large part of the blindness in the world is caused by this dreadful affliction, and it is primarily venereal in origin. pg 496-497





There is a HORRIBLE picture of a baby with the disease -- eyes --really the entire upper face -- swollen and distorted, red, oozing yellow pus. Believe me, it looks nothing like any conjunctivitis I have ever seen. I can't imagine anyone not noticing it, or ignoring it.





The treatment in those days consisted of frequent ';irrigations'; with warm saline and/or applications of ice packs made of sterile saline poured over sterile ice cubes. The nurse applies these ';ice-cold pledgets (cotton balls) on the lids, changing them every minute, and throwing the waste into a paper bag at the side. The order may be to keep up the application of cold for twenty-four hours and not to interrupt it while the child is nursing.'; And days and weeks of constant care were required to fight the infection, prevent eye damage and attempt to prevent its spread to the family and caregivers.





It's really very sad to see the pictures in this book.





Contrast this treatment with a later book- Handbook of Pediatrics (1975: post-penicillin)-- ';The prognosis with treatment is generally very good, and cure should result within two to four days.';





I frequently send up a prayer of thanks for the discovery of antibiotics.
  • love myspace
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment