Friday, December 18, 2009

Out of the blue I get this smell of something like shaving cream and I don't know why. ?

Shaving cream is the best way to describe the smell. But it happens out of the blue for no apparent reason that I know of? I could be in a bed of roses and smell it! I had a horrible head trauma, and I thought it could possibly be some type of seizure...I heard that a while back but I don't know. It's become annoying and it has me worried because it's happening more and more. Any ideas?Out of the blue I get this smell of something like shaving cream and I don't know why. ?
Having partial complex brain seizures (a form of epilepsy) myself, I've done some research about it. Just from reading your headline my first guess was to answer you with the fact that what you are experiencing can be common as a result of seizures.





Seizures can also be caused by head trauma, or scarring on the brain that results from it. They initially thought that my seizures were the result of being hit in the head with a brick during my wilder days, but it turned out to be something else.





Also, my seizures came and went. I ignored them for almost 5-6 years thinking it may have been from smoking to much marijuana, but actually experienced them more after quitting. What finally made me go to the doctor was the fact that mine began happening more and more as well.





Talk to your normal doctor and get a referral to a nuerologist, and ask any family or friends if they know any good ones as well. Make sure you get a second opinion, because the first doctor found nothing wrong with me. Also, make sure when they do the MRI that they do it with contrast for better results, and so they don't make you do it twice like they did me. (one with/one without). They'll also probably send you for an EEG where they'll have to lay back in a room while they flash lights with electrodes hooked up to you, in an effort to induce and record a seizure, if that is indeed what your having. Also, make sure they make you go for a sleep-deprived EEG if they think that your symptoms are from seizures. They made me do a regular EEG with no results, but finally caught it on the sleep-deprived one.





Overall don't be scared. Just go get it checked out so you don't worry and can figure out what it is right away. Many things are treatable and work exceptionally well when used correctly.





Good luck :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment